Recourse Available to Victims

The victims of ragging must communicate or share their problems with their peers, family, heads of institutions, NGO’s or other authorities who may help them in this regard. The evil of ragging is nurturing as many events go unreported. What we see is only the tip of the iceberg.

Communication and naming the perpetrators ensures that, if you choose to pursue legal action, there would be other witnesses to affirm your claim. It is also important that you communicate via emails and letters to your family naming the perpetrators and stating the tasks you are required to perform and the impact the same has upon you.

In any case, the victims can report the incidents to any of the following:

College Authority:

The victim shall immediately report the incidence of ragging to the college authorities, viz. the Dean, Registrar, Proctor, to any faculty, who is a part of the anti-ragging committee, or member of the anti-ragging squad that may exist in college/university. If you don’t wish to be named i.e. want to maintain anonymity then you must request the same.

University Grants Commission:

If you are not satisfied by the action taken by the college authorities or if the college fails to take any action at all or if you do not want to report the matter to college authorities for whatever reason, then you may contact the UGC directly, by calling on UGC’s toll-free helpline 1800-180-5522 or you may email them at: 


You may report the incident of ragging by way of an FIR (first information report) with the nearest police station if you feel that a serious offence has been committed. For example, sexual molestation or any simple or grievous injury that can cost one’s life or limb, etc.

You could go with a complaint in writing and request the concerned officer to lodge an FIR based on the same. He would register FIR u/s 154 of the Code of Criminal Procedure if he thinks, based on your complaint, it is a case involving a cognizable offence. Otherwise, he will register your complaint under section 155 of the Code of Criminal Procedure if he thinks, based on your complaint, that it is a case involving a non-cognizable offence.

In case of non-cognizable offence, where the police officer can’t arrest without warrant, he would direct you to the magistrate. If the officer refuses to do the registered FIR where the cognizable offence is committed, you should contact the Station House Officer (SHO) of the concerned police station. If he/she refuses to do the same, you could contact the area magistrate to take cognizance of your complaint.


If you need any help concerning above-said options, or if you want us to exercise these options on your behalf, or if you seek any kind of legal/medical/psychological consultation then you may approach an anti-ragging NGO like SAVE (Society Against Violence in Education)” by emailing us at or by calling us on the numbers provided in the “Contact us” section.

We at SAVE, work for people who have been victims or witnesses of ragging & try to make sure that their grievance is resolved in the shortest possible time.

The above list of examples is not exhaustive.